About Me

My photo
I currently am a sophomore at the University of South Alabama. I am from Arkansas and came to the University to play basketball on a full scholarship. I love having a great time with friends and just relaxing. I am always on the go and a very busy person. My family, friends, and god are the most important to me and I don't know what I would do without them.

Sunday, January 24, 2010

A Vision of Students Today

This video caught my attention real fast and I related to this video the entire time I was watching it. Every fact that the students held up on paper or the laptop, I believe is true in todays society. Do the teachers realize the things and the information that they are teaching us? Sometimes I even wonder why I am learning this or why do I need this information in my life. This video really does capture my college experience because I have been in some classes that I wonder what am I going to do with the information when I get older. Every student has questions about a subject in school but are the students reaching out and asking the questions? You will here from many people that its your own fault for nothing learning the material or paying attention but what are the teachers doing to get our attention. Are they just teaching to teach, or do they have a purpose and point to get across to us as students. I could add some of my experiences to this video by putting that I pay attention more to my text messages or Facebook in class than the teachers. Also, I do lots of homework for my classes and the teachers don't even check to see if its right or not.

It's Not About The Technology

Kelly Hines had some great points in her article and I understand a lot of her ideas clearly. What would be the point of having technology if it isn't being used right or not being taught correctly? You can't just give technology to teachers that aren't willing to use it to its power because then it becomes a waste of time and money for the students as well as the teachers. I also agree that learning and teaching are not the same thing. If a teacher is teaching something or getting a point across and the students doesn't respond or understand, then there is no learning involved. Now I do have one thing to say about it's not all about the technology. I do believe that we need to start learning and realizing that technology is going to be very important in the future and that technology might even be the new learning. We need to start learning and teaching technology so that we can be prepared for the things ahead of us.

I believe that if teachers are going to use the technology, they need to understand the importance of it so that when its being taught, the students will benefit from it. I am a big technology person and i believe if technology is used in its right way, there can be many wonders that we had no idea even existed.

Is It Okay To Be A Technologically Illiterate Teacher?

In my opinion I don't think it is okay for teachers to be technologically illiterate. Technology is an important part of learning and without learning there is no teaching. I agreed with what the list had to say about the standards and rules that teachers should have.The thing that caught my eye the most was the last thing said in the list. We really need to stop being so nice and start becoming strict on the material and how the technology is being used for our students. Learning shouldn't be just a go through and get our process. This isn't helping our kids and children to become successful and it's not teaching them anything more or less. I feel like if you are technologically illiterate than you shouldn't be a teacher because technology these days plays an important role in learning and without learning, we will get no where in life.

Gary's Social Media Count

After looking over the Social Media Count, there actually are some issues for me in my career path. My major is in Physical Education and i plan on being a high school coach and teaching P.E classes. After looking over the media count, I noticed a lot more kids using Facebook, Twitter, watching YouTube videos, and texts messaging being sent. This is a problem for me because if these kids are always using this technology, when is there time to be physically active? Staying on the computer or playing video games can be a problem because the kids are getting no physical activity what so ever and aren't looking out for their healthy needs. Facebook can be addicting as we all know, but physical activity is needed for the health of your body and if you are using all your free time inside on the computer and using the cell phone, health issues can start to show as in obesity. As the facts show, the United States population of obesity as increased and this Media Count could have showed where some of the problems are.

3 comments:

  1. I Agree! I have an eleven year old and I feel like she is constantly texting and talking on the phone. It's crazy when kids can stay in touch with their friends 24/7. She plays soccer and volleyball so at least she is active. I'm probably your mother's age so all this technology is new to me. But I am learning I have a son at the University of Alabama that I Skype with and text all day long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with kids taking more time with technology than being more active. This is a concern for me personally because my 9 year old and 6 year old would rather play games on the computer that they have learned about in school than go outside and ride their bikes. How do I tell my child, who is struggling in math, not to play a game to strengthen her math skills and go outside to play. It is hard to reach a balance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You don't need the information. You don't need any specific information Rather you need the ability to know what information you do need, how to find it, and how to use it. We do this by practicing in many different content areas, including the ones in which we will be professionally active. Schools and teachers still think we have to teach information. How unfortunate!

    Your comments relating the counter to your professional interests are quite interesting. You have some challenges ahead!

    Ms. Hines will be Skyping the E Class on 2/17 at 4:30. Come to that session and you can ask her the questions you have raised about her post.

    ReplyDelete